This Simple Vegan Chili is comfort in a bowl! Gather your favorite toppings and make a batch of this tonight!
My family loves chili! I make it every week during the winter months. In fact, I make it in the summer as well. I just love to put out an assortment of toppings- IT’S ALL ABOUT THE TOPPINGS.
Vegan Chili Toppings
Dairy free sour cream
Fritos or tortilla chips
My daughter says it’s not chili night without a bag of Fritos! Personally, I prefer tortilla chips- homemade even better.
There is something so comforting about a pot of chili on the stove and it brings my family together. I came up with this recipe after reducing meat as I was determined to keep our chili tradition alive. So what makes a good vegan chili? I would say it has to be:
SPICY- I spice my own to keep it kid friendly
This chili has all of those things! It’s thick and hearty due to the addition of refried beans, which gives it a good base. I also add a bit of Marmite, that gives it the umami flavor we all love. If you haven’t had MARMITE, it’s a nutritious, savory spread, which is basically yeast extract. It’s vegan, and adds a bit of savoriness to vegetarian and vegan dishes, but if you can’t get your hands on some, it will still be delicious.
Best of all, this is so simple to make, just chop your vegetables and everything goes into one pot! Of course you must try it with my DAIRY FREE SOUR CREAM recipe. It goes so well with the chili!
Want more comforting dinner recipes?
- Try this Vegan Chickpea Etoufee
- Or this Easy Vegan Tofu Curry
As always, please let me know how you like this recipe in the comments. Your feedback means a lot to me, and your star ratings encourage other readers to give this recipe a try.
Simple Vegan Chili with Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopeed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned with juice
- 31 oz pinto beans canned, low sodium, rinsed and drained
- 31 oz red kidney beans canned, low sodium, rinsed and drained
- 16 oz refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp marmite optional – buy here
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell peppers, then sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add minced garlic and sauté 2 minutes or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth and refried beans. Stir to combine and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add drained and rinsed pinto and kidney beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, marmite, salt, and pepper. Cook another 30 minutes or so, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with DAIRY FREE SOUR CREAM and your favorite toppings.