Make homemade quinoa flour in about 15 minutes using this quick and easy method.
If you've never baked with quinoa flour, you are missing out! Quinoa flour is great for all kinds of sweet and savory recipes, including these chocolate quinoa cupcakes with peanut butter glaze. And making quinoa flour at home is easier than you may think. All you need is quinoa, a skillet, and a high-speed blender.
Why use quinoa flour?
Quinoa flour is a high protein, whole grain flour that's full of nutrients. Try replacing half (or all for some recipes) of regular, all-purpose flour with quinoa flour for the health benefits.
Quinoa flour is great for gluten-free baking. A lot of gluten-free flours require the addition of gums and thickeners to provide structure to baked goods. But because of quinoa's high protein content, there is no need to add anything.
What does quinoa flour taste like?
Quinoa flour has an earthy, nutty taste that I find quite satisfying. Some find it bitter, but I find that toasting the quinoa beforehand helps with the bitterness. You should know that it's not going to taste like all-purpose flour and that It goes best in recipes that have other bold flavors, like cocoa powder and warming spices.
How to make quinoa flour (quick and easy)
Like I said it's super easy to make at home and only takes about 15 minutes. I've been asked about whether or not to wash the quinoa and that depends on where you buy it, and if it's been prewashed. I buy my quinoa from Costco and it's been prewashed, so there is no need for me to rinse it. This brand from Amazon has been prewashed as well.
If your quinoa at home hasn't been prewashed, then you want to rinse it well and dry it thoroughly. After that, you simply toast it in a skillet and then grind it up in a high-speed blender. So easy! The step-by-step instructions are below.
I really hope you try making quinoa flour at home. And if you do, please let me know what recipe you use it in. 🙂
How to Make Quinoa Flour (Quick and Easy)
- 1 cup quinoa* see notes
- Pour the quinoa into a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Transfer the quinoa to a high-speed blender and blend until it becomes a fine powder (about 1 minute).
- Pass the quinoa flour through a fine mesh strainer to remove any large chunks.
- Store your quinoa flour in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- I buy my quinoa in bulk from Costco. It's been prewashed, so there isn't a need to rinse it. If your quinoa hasn't been prewashed, rinse it well and allow it to dry before proceeding with the recipe.