This Low Fat Vegan Rotel Dip is a much healthier and slimmer version of the dip we all know and love. So you can get your dip on, sans the guilt!
How I love rotel dip. You know the kind made with a can of Rotel and that huge block of pasturized cheese product. What’s in that stuff anyway?
Well I guess it doesn’t matter now because my love affair with cheese ended long ago. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t still crave for something warm, cheesy, and ooey-gooey to dip my chips in. What’s a dairy-free girl to do?
Low Fat Vegan Rotel Dip to the rescue! This dip is a life saver for someone who use to devour an entire bowl of cheese dip in one sitting. It’s just so darn addictive! And so is this vegan dip for that matter. But that’s ok! Go ahead and eat until your heart’s content because this dip is super healthy and low fat.
So what’s in it?
- Butternut Squash: Yes, squash is the main ingredient for this dip. It may be hard to believe, but it just works.
- Cashews: Just 1/4 cup adds a bit of creaminess, while keeping the recipe low fat. Soak or boil for 10 minutes.
- Almond Milk: Make sure it’s unsweetened and unflavored.
- Tomato paste: Adds a bit of color and umami.
- Tapioca flour: This thickens the dip and gives it a gooey, stretchy consistency.
- Rice Vinegar: Adds a bit of tang.
- Nutritional Yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. I love this stuff!
- Garlic powder: Or you can substitute one garlic clove.
- Onion powder: Adds great flavor, but no worries if you don’t have it on hand.
- Rotel: Or other brand of canned diced tomatoes with green chilis will work.
How to make Low Fat Vegan Rotel Dip
This dip is super easy to make. I would say that the hardest part is prepping the butternut squash for roasting- dang they’re hard to cut. You want to make sure you have a sturdy, sharp knife and slice in in half lengthwise and then scoop out the seeds. Then place in a baking dish skin side down and roast for about an hour on 375 degrees.
After the squash is roasted and very tender, you scoop out the flesh and measure out a cup and a half. Next, add it to a high speed blender with all the other ingredients, minus the canned Rotel.
Blend until very smooth and no lumps remain. And pour into a saucepan with the canned Rotel. Heat over medium heat until thickened (about 5-6 minutes), stirring constantly.
Your Low Fat Vegan Rotel Dip is now ready to devour. Serve with tortilla chips or crispy veggies. Oh and try topping it with pico de gallo and pickled jalapenos-YUM!
I hope you try this recipe for healthy, easy vegan Rotel dip. And let me know if you do!
Low Fat Vegan Rotel Dip
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Slice butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place in a baking dish and roast (skin side down) for an hour or until very tender.
- Scoop out flesh of butternut squash, measuring out a cup and a half and add to a high speed blender.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the Rotel, to the blender and blend until very smooth.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan along with Rotel. Heat over medium and stir constantly until thickened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish with pico de gallo and pickled jalapenos and serve warm with tortilla chips or crunchy veggies.
- Happy Eating!