This Vegan Rotel Dip is a much healthier and slimmer version of the dip we all know and love. So you can get your dip on, sans the guilt!
Oh, how I love Rotel dip. You know, the kind made with a can of Rotel and that massive block of pasteurized cheese product. What's in that stuff anyway?
Well, I guess it doesn't matter now because my love affair with cheese ended long ago. But that doesn't mean that I don't still crave something warm, cheesy, and ooey-gooey to dip my chips in. What's a dairy-free girl to do?
Healthy Vegan Rotel Dip to the rescue! This dip is a life saver for someone who used to devour an entire bowl of cheese dip in one sitting. It's just so darn addictive! And so is this vegan cheese dip, for that matter. But that's ok! Go ahead and eat until your heart's content because this dip is super healthy and low fat.
Let's talk about ingredients:
Vegan Rotel Dip Ingredients
- Butternut Squash- Yes, squash is the main ingredient for this dip. It may be hard to believe, but it works.
- Cashews- Just ¼ cup of cashews adds a bit of creaminess while keeping the recipe low-fat. Soak or boil for 10 minutes.
- Almond Milk- Make sure it's unsweetened and unflavored.
- Tomato paste- Adds a bit of color and umami.
- Tapioca flour- Tapioca flour thickens the dip and gives it a gooey, stretchy consistency.
- Rice Vinegar- For a bit of tang.
- Nutritional Yeast- I love nutritional Yeast! It adds a cheesy flavor.
- Garlic powder- You can substitute one garlic clove.
- Onion powder- Adds flavor, but no worries if you don't have it on hand.
- Rotel- You can substitute any other brand of canned diced tomatoes with green chilis.
How to make Healthy Vegan Rotel Dip
This dip is super easy to make. I would say that the most challenging part is prepping the butternut squash for roasting- they're hard to cut. You want to make sure you have a sturdy, sharp knife, slice it in half lengthwise, and then scoop out the seeds. Then place in a baking dish skin side down and roast for about an hour at 375 degrees.
After the squash is roasted and tender, you scoop out the flesh and measure out a cup and a half. Next, add it to a high-speed blender with all the other ingredients, minus the canned Rotel.
Blend until very smooth, and no lumps remain. Next, pour into a saucepan with the canned Rotel. Heat over medium heat until thickened (about 5-6 minutes), stirring constantly.
Your Vegan Rotel Dip is now ready to devour. Serve with tortilla chips or crispy veggies. Oh, and try topping it with pico de gallo and pickled jalapenos-YUM!
Want more vegan recipes?
Check these out:
Please let me know how you like the Vegan Rotel Dip (Healthy) in the comments. Your feedback means a lot to me and your star ratings encourage others to try the recipe!
Vegan Rotel Dip (Healthy)
- 11/2 cups butternut squash cooked and mashed
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup cashews soaked
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 11/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 5 tablespoon nutritional yeast see here
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced tomatoes and green chilies canned Rotel
- 2 tablespoon tapioca flour* see here
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place in a baking dish and roast (skin side down) for an hour or until very tender.
- Scoop out the flesh of the butternut squash, measuring out a cup and a half and add to a high speed blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the Rotel, to the blender and blend until very smooth.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan along with Rotel. Heat over medium and stir constantly until thickened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish with pico de gallo and pickled jalapenos, and serve warm with tortilla chips or crunchy veggies.
- Happy Eating!
- Tapioca flour- Tapioca flour thickens the dip and gives it a gooey, stretchy consistency. If you can't find it, substitute half the amount of cornstarch. Just know the consistency won't be quite the same.
- Store your vegan Rotel dip covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in a saucepan or in the microwave.