You have to try this super moist vanilla protein banana bread. This healthy vegan bread is made with whole wheat pastry flour, packed with protein, and has only 200 calories per serving. Best of all, you can put this together in 10-15 minutes, and just pop it in the oven. This is sure to become your new go-to banana bread recipe!
Who doesn’t love banana bread? There is something so cozy about it that makes you feel like you’re a kid again back at grandma’s house. Except this isn’t grandma’s banana bread! This delicious bread is vegan and packed with protein. Sorry grandma, but we are busy ladies and we need our protein.
So what’s to love about this vanilla protein banana bread? This bread is:
It’s also very easy to make. So what do you need?
Vanilla Protein Banana Bread (Vegan) Ingredients:
To make vanilla protein banana bread, you will need:
- Whole wheat pastry flour– You can substitute all purpose or plain whole wheat. Or what I recommend is a 50/50 blend of the two if you don’t have the whole wheat pastry flour.
- Vanilla protein powder– I used Tropeaka Lean Vanilla. But any vanilla protein powder should do.
- 3 bananas– The older the better. You want to use ones with brown spotting to ensure a sweeter bread.
- Brown sugar– You can substitute granulated white sugar or coconut sugar if you prefer.
- Coconut oil– You can substitute vegetable oil or vegan butter if you prefer.
- Soy yogurt– Or any other unflavored non-dairy yogurt. Although vanilla flavor would be lovely.
- Tapioca Flour– This helps bind the bread together. It’s great to have on hand for vegan desserts.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Stevia– If you don’t have stevia, you can add more brown sugar to your liking. Try an extra 1/4 cup and go from there.
How to Make Vanilla Protein Banana Bread (Vegan)
Making vanilla protein bread is simple with the following steps:
- Prep Oven and Pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- Combine Dry Ingredients (minus sugar): In a large bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, and stevia.
- Crush Bananas with Sugar: In a medium size bowl, use a fork to crush bananas together with the brown sugar.
- Combine Wet Ingredients: Add the melted coconut oil and soy yogurt to the banana mixture.
- Combine Wet with Dry: Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir together until just evenly combined.
- Bake: Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until set. The bread is set if a toothpick comes out (mostly) clean when inserted.
- Cool: Let cool and enjoy warm or room temperature.
Feel free to add up to one cup of your favorite chocolate chips or nuts. Or a combo of both. I like to add dark chocolate chips and walnuts- YUM!
Also, be sure to try a generous spread of peanut butter once it’s baked and warm from the oven. The peanut butter melts slightly and becomes so creamy- WOW it’s delicious!
Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can reheat for 10-15 seconds in the microwave if you prefer warm bread.
So there you have it- my vanilla protein banana bread recipe. Such a great snack for an active lifestyle. Or any lifestyle for that matter. I hope you give it a try and be sure to let me know if you do.
Vanilla Protein Banana Bread (Vegan)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour see notes
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder I used this see notes
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour see here
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons stevia see here
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas crushed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar see notes
- 1/3 cup soy yogurt or other non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, stevia, and salt.
- In a medium size bowl, use a fork to crush bananas together with the brown sugar.
- Add the melted coconut oil and soy yogurt to the banana mixture.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir together until just evenly combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until set. The bread is set if a toothpick comes out (mostly) clean when inserted.
- Let cool and enjoy warm or room temperature.
- Happy Eating!
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: If you do not have whole wheat pastry flour, your best bet is to substitute a 50/50 ratio of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour to ensure you get the same texture. Or you can substitute plain whole wheat flour, just know that the texture will not be as delicate.
- Vanilla Protein Powder: I used Tropeaka Lean Protein Powder in vanilla. But any vanilla protein powder should work.
- Brown Sugar: Feel free to substitute regular white granulated sugar or coconut sugar.
- Stevia: If you choose to omit the stevia, you may want to add additional brown sugar. An extra 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup, depending on your preference.
- Add-Ins: Feel free to add up to one cup of your favorite chocolate chips or nuts.
- Storage: Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.