Crispy pan seared tofu is the easiest way to make the tastiest tofu for any dish! All you need is tofu, a tablespoon of cooking oil, and a skillet!
I love crispy pan seared tofu! I could eat it everyday and it's so great because you can add it to many different recipes. Basically any recipes that calls for meat you can substitute tofu.
Now let's talk taste. I've heard people say that they do not like tofu, but that could be because they've never had it prepared properly. I mean think about chicken- would it taste good raw and unseasoned? NO!
Same thing goes for tofu. Now, I love tofu so much that I would probably eat it no matter how it's prepared, although crispy pan seared tofu is my favorite! It's really easy to do and it doesn't require a ton of oil.
All you need is a block of extra firm tofu, 1 tablespoon of oil, seasonings of choice, and a skillet!
How To Get Crispy Pan Seared Tofu
Start by pressing some of the water out of your tofu. To do this, simply place the block of tofu on a chopping block and weigh it down with a plate and a heavy can or two. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so allowing it to release some water, then dry it with a kitchen towel and cube.
Once you have your tofu ready, grab a heavy bottom skillet; cast iron is best, although nonstick will work if that's all you have. Then, heat your oil (I like avocado because of it's high smoke point) over medium heat.
Next place your tofu cubes in the skillet being careful not to crowd them too much. Now this step is IMPORTANT- DO NOT DISTURB for 5-6 minutes or until a brown crust starts to form. The tofu tends to stick if it's disturbed too early.
While waiting for your tofu to sear, go ahead and add your seasonings. I don't season right away, because I like to give that first side a really nice sear first.
Seasoning options are limitless for crispy pan seared tofu as it really depends on how you are using it. Some of my go-to's are salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, curry seasoning, smoked paprika, chili powder, and cumin. Sometimes just salting is perfect if you are adding it to a recipe.
After a nice crust has formed, go ahead and flip tofu cubes and season the other side. Sear this side for 3-4 minutes and then continue until all sides are browned.
Now you have perfect crispy pan seared tofu cubes! Add them to your favorite recipes for a delicious protein boost or enjoy them as a snack with a dipping sauce. My favorite way to eat crispy pan seared tofu is with Sesame Ginger Peanut Sauce- oh my you have to try this sauce! It's so good that I could just eat it with a spoon.
I hope you try out this simple way to prepare tofu and let know- what is your favorite way to enjoy tofu? Lots of Love and Happy Eating!
Crispy Pan Seared Tofu
- 14 oz tofu extra firm
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other cooking oil
- seasonings of choice see notes
- Drain tofu and place on a cutting board. Place a plate on top of the tofu and weigh it down with a can or other heavy object. Allow to sit for 30 minutes as this removes excess water.
- Dry tofu with a clean kitchen towel and cut into small cubes.
- Mix seasonings of choice in a small bowl and set aside or you can simply season with salt.
- Heat avocado oil in a large (preferably cast iron) skillet over medium heat.
- Add tofu cubes and sear for 5-6 minutes or until a golden crust starts to form. Try not to disturb until it's time to check as this may cause the tofu to stick.
- Season tofu cubes with half of the salt or seasonings that you plan to use.
- Flip tofu cubes and sear for an additional 3-4 minutes on each side, until all sides are golden brown.
- Season tofu cubes once more with the rest of your preferred seasonings.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add them to your favorite recipes or enjoy as a snack with Sesame Ginger Peanut Sauce.
- Happy Eating!
Leave a Reply