Healthy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (No Butter)
This easy and healthy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting is perfectly sweet, tart, and luscious. We made this frosting healthy by replacing butter with Greek yogurt and using a combination of maple syrup and stevia as the sweetener. You can't tell it's been lightened up! You'll want to eat this frosting with a spoon.
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract*
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia* see notes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment beat the cream cheese and Greek yogurt on medium until smooth and creamy. Be sure to stop and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary.
Add the maple syrup, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla extract, lemon extract, stevia, and salt. Beat on low for 30 seconds and then on high for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This recipe makes enough to frost 12-14 cupcakes or a 9-inch cake. Try it on my healthy lemon cake. It's amazing!
- Vanilla Extract and Lemon Extract- I use the McCormick brand of vanilla and lemon extract to flavor the frosting. You can use any brand that you prefer. Just be sure it's extract and not oil.
- Stevia- I use Sweetleaf Stevia Drops and maple syrup to sweeten the frosting. Stevia is a natural sugar substitute with zero calories, and there are many different brands on the market. Feel free to use the one that you prefer. Just be sure to read the label and use the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar. You can always taste the frosting and add more if desired. Regular granulated sugar will not work in this frosting. So if you omit the stevia, another option is to add 1/4 cup of confectioners' sugar.
- Store your healthy cream cheese lemon frosting in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 97mg | Potassium: 81mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg