Healthy Hawaiian Banana Bread
This healthy Hawaiian banana bread is loaded with pineapple, coconut, fresh cherries, and pecans. Such a fun and delicious twist on traditional banana bread!
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet cherries*
- 1/2 cup pineapple, canned reserve 1/3 cup of the juice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, optional
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or regular granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan (a 9x5 or 8x4 will work). Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork or potato masher until smooth. Pit the cherries and chop them into small bits (about the size of peas). Chop the pineapple and pecans the same size. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Toss the cherries, pineapple, pecans, and shredded coconut into the dry mixture and set aside.
Whisk together the egg, coconut oil, reserved pineapple juice, and almond extract. Whisk in the mashed banana until smooth.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir together until just incorporated. Don't overmix.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Slice and enjoy!
- Cherries- Use fresh sweet cherries when they are available. This cherry pitter makes pitting the cherries a breeze! If you can't find fresh, frozen will work too. Just thaw them and pat dry before chopping them.
- Storage- Cover and store your banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can reheat each slice of bread for 10-15 seconds in the microwave if you prefer warm bread.
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 224mg | Potassium: 303mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 58IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg